I know most people think of today as just St. Patrick's Day and wear their green. But, this day always has bittersweet memories for me. My mom would have been 81 today. She died at the early age of 48 (33 years ago) when I was 24. She never got to see me happy in my marriage to Randy or hold her grandson, Travis. I pray that she and Trav are watching over us now and have embraced each other in God's presence. My mom was a very generous Christian lady. She made a point of attending worship services with my brother and I even when my dad would not go with us. We changed churches several times when I was a child to encourage my dad to join us. He never quite found the place that he liked better than being on the lake on Sunday mornings. ( I know this is where Trav got his love for the outdoors.) She always put others first in her life. I guess that's what I remember most about her is that she always provided for my brother and I before she considered anything for herself. She made her own clothes and often sewed clothing for me. At the time, I was not very grateful, because I wanted store-bought clothes like everyone else. Pretty selfish, huh? Now I wish I'd appreciated her efforts more and learned from her a very useful skill which she often tried to pass on to me. I love you, mama, and miss you daily. Forgive me for often being ungrateful for all of the wonderful things that you did for me and love you gave. I wish we'd been able to communicate better while you were still here with me. That was my fault totally. Until I became a mom myself, I never realized the amount of love and compassion you had for Bill and I. I truly understand now the many times you suffered from our bad choices and painful experiences. I know you were always there for me. Take care of Trav until I get there, please.
Sincerely,
Suzie
No comments:
Post a Comment